Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres?

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres?
Date: 2013-10-03 09:54:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Don,
>
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction? I realize I'm preaching
> among
> > evangelists on this list, but maybe some of the folks here know someone
> who
> > might be willing to talk?
>
> A few off the top of my head:
>
> <snip>
>

> I don't know that anyone has petabytes on vanilla PostgreSQL; we don't
> do well at that scale. GreenPlum, Aster, etc. yes, but not mainstream
> Postgres. However, nobody has petabytes on mainstream Oracle either.
>
> --

Josh,

Thanks for the listing. That gives me something to be able to discuss in
class, at least. I don't suppose you could help me get in contact with any
of these companies? Or maybe if I just drop a line on the general list,
someone might take interest?

I saw Szymon's reply also, and agree it might be a good thing to promote
what PostgreSQL is really capable of, as there does seem to be quite a bit
of doubt (which could be a competitive advantage in the eyes of some folks).

Regards,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Facility Services Coordinator, Free Software Advocate