Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Examples of Large Datasets on Postgres?
Date: 2013-10-02 17:32:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Don,

> Can anyone point me in the right direction? I realize I'm preaching among
> evangelists on this list, but maybe some of the folks here know someone who
> might be willing to talk?

A few off the top of my head:

Instagram had over 20TB of data in PostgreSQL at acquisition time per
their presentation; no doubt they have more, now.

Comptel's cell call tracking database for the EU had up to 75TB per city
for 20+ cities.

There's a marketing company in Australia which had over 200TB of data in
PostgreSQL -- I can't recall the name right now.

The Mormon Tabernacle's entire geneology database is in PostgreSQL; not
sure how big that is, but it covers over 200m individuals.

I don't know that anyone has petabytes on vanilla PostgreSQL; we don't
do well at that scale. GreenPlum, Aster, etc. yes, but not mainstream
Postgres. However, nobody has petabytes on mainstream Oracle either.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.