Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?
Date: 2014-10-31 13:31:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Karsten Hilbert
<Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Can anyone share any experiences with running PostgreSQL on a
> tablet ? (Surface Pro 3, ASUS Transformer)
>
> (or point to things I should read, searching the web didn't
> turn up anything that seemed relevant to *tablets*)

I can't speak to tablets specifically. But there is danger running
postgres on 'cheap' SSD: they are not designed to accommodate a lot of
write activity. This means you typically have some or all of the
following issues:

*) non durable writes
*) extremely slow fsync times
*) very rapid media wear

I would probably want to mount the database volume on external storage.

merlin