Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?
Date: 2014-10-31 13:37:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/31/2014 7:31 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Can anyone share any experiences with running PostgreSQL on a
> tablet ? (Surface Pro 3, ASUS Transformer)

The SSD in a modern tablet is considerably faster than a hard drive in a
high-end server from the era when PG was originally developed so from a
performance perspective there's no problem (provided your expectations
of overall performance are realistic). The Surface 3 Pro in particular
has a pretty high performance SSD. Other tablets may use lower
performing devices so YMMV. I have PG installed on my Surface 3 for
development purposes fwiw.

As others have said, watch out for durability issues with SSDs that are
not explicitly specified for server/"enterprise" use, although in a
tablet where there is a local battery backup power source these concerns
may be not too relevant. Probably not wise to run a bank on a tablet
though...