google F1

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: google F1
Date: 2012-05-30 13:57:27
Lists: pgsql-general

So,

If you haven't heard the news yet, google is migrating off MySQL for
adwords. They decided to implement their own system, F1:

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/38125.pdf

It's a distributed SQL system, but they opted not to implement
'eventual consistency' -- which I very much agree with. It's fully
transactional (I think?) and trades transaction latency for the
sharding capabilities. It's an interesting take: how does it compare
to postgres? Does it truly scale?

merlin