Postgres no longer starts

From: "Bart Lateur" <bla(at)taxistop(dot)be>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres no longer starts
Date: 2012-05-30 15:25:11
Lists: pgsql-general

CentOS 5.x (now 5.8), Postgres 8.4.something. Postgres had been up and
running for over a year now.

After an update on the system, and adding mod_ssl in Apache (is this
related? No idea.), Postgres no longer starts up. It just fails silently.
"pgstartup.log" contains only one single line:

runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

I have no idea where to begin to debug this; Google only produces a handful
of results about this error message in relation to Postgres. None fix my
problem.

Whatever I do, everything just fails quietly. As far as I can see, the
configuration files haven't changed.

Help? Where do I even begin to debug this? Could a complete reinstall of
Postgres and restoration of the databases help?

--

Bart.