Re: Database replication method

From: Keith <keith(at)keithf4(dot)com>
To: Yuksel Pinarbasi <yukselp(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database replication method
Date: 2014-05-02 19:49:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Yuksel Pinarbasi <yukselp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> First question: Does the database need to be local to both locations?
>> Could you use a front-end that connects to the same backend database from
>> both campuses? (Like a web front end?) That's your easiest solution.
>>

> Main concern is to be able to continue to work during a network failure.
> Internet connections are not very reliable in the area.
>

> Next question is *if* that's not acceptable, do both locations need to be
>> able to modify the database?
>>

> Yes
>

> Going with your above description, and assuming there isn't a way to
>> simplify your requirements, the page above points to the Bucardo project as
>> a solution you'll want to look at:
>> <http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo>
>>

> Thanks, my online research pointed me to the same direction also.
>

> Yuksel
>

> --

You're going down a rather complex path, especially for someone new to full
RDBMS systems. Multi-master (as this is frequently called) is one of the
most difficult problems to solve in database administration. A poor
network between the two locations is going to make it even more difficult
to manage. The conflict resolution for both sites editing the same data is
more complex of a problem than I think you realize right now. If there's
any chance you can stick with a single, more reliable offsite location that
both locations can access, I'd highly recommend starting there, perhaps in
Amazon EC2 or RDS. Then one site being down isn't a bottleneck to the
other.

Keith
http://www.keithf4.com