Re: Database replication method

From: "Yuksel Pinarbasi" <yukselp(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database replication method
Date: 2014-05-02 21:04:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks Keith.
Those two branches will mostly be handling independent data.
Only time to time they will need to see a record that the other branch has been created.
I don't think there will be ant conflict. Because they will not read or edit the same row in a close time frame.
It seems a Multi Master- Asynchronous replication will be the right solution in the end.
Anyway, I will start with a single database and work my way around later.

Yuksel

You're going down a rather complex path, especially for someone new to full RDBMS systems. Multi-master (as this is frequently called) is one of the most difficult problems to solve in database administration. A poor network between the two locations is going to make it even more difficult to manage. The conflict resolution for both sites editing the same data is more complex of a problem than I think you realize right now. If there's any chance you can stick with a single, more reliable offsite location that both locations can access, I'd highly recommend starting there, perhaps in Amazon EC2 or RDS. Then one site being down isn't a bottleneck to the other.

Keith

http://www.keithf4.com