Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DOCS - pg_replication_slot . Fix the 'inactive_since' description
Date: 2024-09-09 03:15:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 12:20 PM David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2024, 18:55 Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Saying "The time..." is fine, but the suggestions given seem backwards to me:
>> - The time this slot was inactivated
>> - The time when the slot became inactive.
>> - The time when the slot was deactivated.
>>
>> e.g. It is not like light switch. So, there is no moment when the
>> active slot "became inactive" or "was deactivated".
>

> While this is plausible the existing wording and the name of the field definitely fail to convey this.
>

>> Rather, the 'inactive_since' timestamp field is simply:
>> - The time the slot was last active.
>> - The last time the slot was active.
>

> I see your point but that wording is also quite confusing when an active slot returns null for this field.
>
> At this point I'm confused enough to need whatever wording is taken to be supported by someone explaining the code that interacts with this field.

Me too. I created this thread primarily to get the description changed
to clarify this field represents a moment in time, rather than a
duration. So I will be happy with any wording that addresses that.

> I suppose I'm expecting something like: The time the last activity finished, or null if an activity is in-progress.

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia