Re: Enhance create subscription reference manual

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-10-03 01:20:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 2, 2024, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>> You can see how confused the current docs are because "failover" is
>> called by both terms even within the same paragraph! [1]
>> - "failover parameter specified in the subscription"
>> - "subscription's failover option"
>>
>> ~~~
>>
>> What to do? Ideally, the docs should have consistent and correct usage
>> of the words "option" and "parameter" everywhere. But in practice, I
>> guess most people probably are reading those words as synonyms anyway
>> so using them wrongly isn't impacting the understanding badly.
>>
>> Anyway, since you are already fixing something for "failover", then it
>> would be good to fix the correct term everywhere for that one (e.g.
>> call it an "option"), or at least call it an option everywhere on the
>> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION page.
>

> The distinction between required and optional is not relevant for our documentation. The descriptions tell you that.
>
> If you wish to know whether to call something an option or a parameter look at the syntax placeholder. In this case, it is named: “subscription_parameter” so parameter is the correct term to choose on this page, for these things. For explain you call them options because the placeholder is “option”.

OK. If that is the "rule" that the documentation uses then it is fine.
The same term can be consistently used everywhere the 'thing' is
referred to.

~

IIUC you were referring to the EXPLAIN docs page [1] as an "option" example:
------
EXPLAIN [ ( option [, ...] ) ] statement
where option can be one of:
------

but that page also seems to have a muddle of different terms used to
describe the same "option".

======
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-explain.html

Kind Regards,