Re: Collect statistics about conflicts in logical replication

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Collect statistics about conflicts in logical replication
Date: 2024-09-04 03:47:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 9:23 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 3, 2024 7:12 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Testing the stats for all types of conflicts is not required for this patch
> > especially because they increase the timings by 3-4s. We can add tests for one
> > or two types of conflicts.

> Thanks for the comments. I have addressed the comments and adjusted the tests.
> In the V6 patch, Only insert_exists and delete_missing are tested.
>
> I confirmed that it only increased the testing time by 1 second on my machine.
>
> Best Regards,
> Hou zj

It seems a pity to throw away perfectly good test cases just because
they increase how long the suite takes to run.

This seems like yet another example of where we could have made good
use of the 'PG_TEST_EXTRA' environment variable. I have been trying to
propose adding "subscription" support for this in another thread [1].
By using this variable to make some tests conditional, we could have
the best of both worlds. e.g.
- retain all tests, but
- by default, only run a subset of those tests (to keep default test
execution time low).

I hope that if the idea to use PG_TEST_EXTRA for "subscription" tests
gets accepted then later we can revisit this, and put all the removed
extra test cases back in again.

======
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHut%2BPsgtnr5BgcqYwD3PSf-AsUtVDE_j799AaZeAjJvE6HGtA%40mail.gmail.com

Kind Regards,