Re: Call for feedback on pgAdmin4 features

From: jbiskofski <jbiskofski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anthony DeBarros <adebarros(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shirley Wang <swang(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "plumadmin(at)pivotal(dot)io" <plumadmin(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: Call for feedback on pgAdmin4 features
Date: 2017-02-24 20:15:06
Lists: pgadmin-support

We use PGADMIN4 heavily in my place of work. We use it, so tech support can
connect to different postgres instances of our customers. We made some
modifications ( unfortunately we didnt make them in a configurable way, its
all hard-coded )

1. Currently the encoding is hard-set to utf8, we changed it to latin9.
2. Have a type of user that cant register/delete servers/databases. They
should see a predefined list that they cannot modify, additionally we
modified pgadmin so these users cant drop/create databases/users, etc.
3. Add a comment to the top of all outgoing queries performed by pg admin
so postgres logs what pgadmin user performed the action - this is super
useful because this way we dont need to add postgres users to all the
servers, the comment is something like -- PGADMIN : $USERNAME --

4. I feel like the connection reutlization thing is kinda flaky, We get a
lot of "prerequisite error" stuff in the browser, we deal with it by
refreshing the browser.
5. Add support for having some other caching server ( nginx ) in front of
apache. We were able to get this to work with a bunch of rewrite/retry cfg
in nginx, but it was tricky.

pgadmin4 is awesome - we love it! great work