Re: [pgadmin-hackers][pgaweb][patch] Website patch to add SCSS

From: George Gelashvili <ggelashvili(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shruti B Iyer <siyer(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers][pgaweb][patch] Website patch to add SCSS
Date: 2017-07-12 20:27:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

> Hmm, seems like the dependencies are broken. Adding them throws me down
> what seems like a rabbit hole of manual installation, starting with:
>
> (pgaweb) piranha:pgaweb dpage$ pip install -r requirements.txt
> Requirement already satisfied: Django==1.8.18 in /Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/
> pgaweb/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))
> Requirement already satisfied: psycopg2==2.7.1 in
> /Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgaweb/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from -r
> requirements.txt (line 2))
> Collecting libsass==0.13.2 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))
> Using cached libsass-0.13.2.tar.gz
> Could not import setuptools which is required to install from a source
> distribution.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgaweb/lib/python2.7/site-
> packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 387, in setup_py
> import setuptools # noqa
> File "/Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgaweb/lib/python2.7/site-
> packages/setuptools/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
> from six.moves import filter, map
> ImportError: No module named six.moves
>
> Perhaps the entire dependency tree should be added to requirements.txt?

What version of pip runs in your pyenv? We're able to pip install
requirements inside a new 2.7.10 virtualenv, that gets created with pip
9.0.1 by default.

> - Scripts to yarn to compile the SCSS and run the application
>>
> - Add startapp.sh script to start the application
>>

> The application runs under uWSGI - it's not going to be started via a
> script. It's auto-updated periodically from git, and uWSGI will restart
> when necessary so if any pre-processing of files is required, that needs to
> be done at startup automatically.

Okay, so it sounds like shelling out to yarn in wsgi would resolve this.
Otherwise, what does the auto-update process look like? perhaps compilation
steps belong there rather than in app startup. Also, unless a restart needs
to pick up changes separately from those checked into the repo, the app
should be able to restart with static pre-compiled resources.

> - The "Add initial pgAdmin4 version" should be changed to describe loading
> the fixture data from each of the various modules that seed the database.
> e.g.
>
> ./manage.py loaddata ./download/fixtures/packages.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./download/fixtures/distributions.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./download/fixtures/versions.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./download/fixtures/downloads.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./faq/fixtures/categories.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./faq/fixtures/faqs.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./news/fixtures/news.json
> ./manage.py loaddata ./versions/fixtures/versions.json

- s/PGAdmin/pgAdmin

> - We can remove the part about using sqlite for the DB. This is a Postgres
> project after all :-)

Changed.

Thanks,
George and Shruti

Attachment Content-Type Size
02-add-scss.patch application/octet-stream 3.0 KB
01-add-readme.patch application/octet-stream 2.8 KB