Re: [GENERAL] openvz and shared memory trouble

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: lst_hoe02(at)kwsoft(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] openvz and shared memory trouble
Date: 2014-03-31 13:49:38
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:02 PM, <lst_hoe02(at)kwsoft(dot)de> wrote:

> So what does your "shmpages" and your sysctl inside the container claim to
> be the max shared memory available. If you set the shmmax, but the shmpages
> in your container config is to short Postgres maybe has no way to find out
> beside crashing (http://openvz.org/Postgresql_and_shared_memory).
>

> shmpages is "unlimited" in the container

What is did do is just set the the shmmax really high on the container
sysctl. That way it wouldn't matter that there is less shared memory than
there's supposed to be.

I have not yet been able to reproduce the error.
Though this does make me feel a little stupid, it seems to make sense and
work too.
I'll post back if the error does come up again.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

WBL

--
"Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose" -- Mark Shuttleworth