Re: Master-slave failover question

From: "Athanasios | ZenGuard" <athanasios(at)zenguard(dot)org>
To: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Master-slave failover question
Date: 2014-01-03 15:48:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all again,
I rigged up a solution with PGPool (!) in master-slave mode, using the
existing documentation and it works like a charm with a downtime of only a
few seconds, which is acceptable in our case. However assume the following
scenario:
1) Master goes down
2) slave gets promoted to master
owing to the usage of pgpool, this works fine. However, assuming that there
is a certain amount of write traffic that goes to the new master. When the
old master (sorry for the terminology) comes back up, how can I "sync" him
with all the changes that have been performed? This is one of the two
pieces of the puzzle missing for me (the other one is pgpool specific and I
directed my query to their specific mailing list).
Thanks for any replies.