Re: PostgreSQL 11 Auto vacuum

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Pawan Sharma <pawanpg0963(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 11 Auto vacuum
Date: 2019-06-28 19:37:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> Actually we have notice that Auto vacuum in PG10 keeps vacuuming the
> master tables and that takes a lot of time and Don't go the child table to
> remove the dead tuples.

What do the logs say actually got done during these long running
autovacuums? Is it feasible to increase the work allowed before autovacuum
stops (autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit) or perhaps increase the number of
workers? What is the update/deletes workload balance? That is, would it
make sense to decrease the fillfactor on these tables such that you get
more HOT (heap only tuple) updates and indexes are less bloated to get
better performance that way? How often are you manually vacuuming?