Shutdown Order with Primary/Standby?

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Shutdown Order with Primary/Standby?
Date: 2017-08-10 17:59:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Afternoon,

Just wondering if there's a best practice in regards to shutdown of primary
and standbys, as I approach my first planned maintenance task as a newbie
PostgreSQL DBA. I found one older post that suggested doing a fast-mode
shutdown on primary first so that all transaction info can be cleanly
pushed to standby, then shutdown the standby. Our big app group runs on
9.2.18 and is being upgraded to 9.2.22.

Extending that scenario, if you had a cascading standby, would you go
primary -> upstream standby -> downstream standby?

Curious what folks think.

Don.

--
Don Seiler