Upgrade master/slave: rsync?

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Upgrade master/slave: rsync?
Date: 2017-09-12 21:57:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Planning steps to upgrade our 9.2 DB to the latest stable 9.6 using
pg_upgrade. I've gone through the steps for a primary/standalone DB and
they work well. Looking into how then to upgrade the standby, the
documentation says that *the data_dir from the master should be rsync'ed to
each slave*.

Is this truly the case? Having to copy all the data from the primary will
be a huge issue for our larger databases. I had hoped we'd just need to
upgrade the binaries, copy the old data dir to the new data dir, update
conf files as needed and turn it back on (similar to Oracle standby
upgrade).

Don.

--
Don Seiler