Re: pgsql: doc: Further clarify how recovery target parameters are applied

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: doc: Further clarify how recovery target parameters are applied
Date: 2019-09-30 13:14:26
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 6:10 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:

> doc: Further clarify how recovery target parameters are applied
>
> Recovery target parameters are all applied even in standby mode. The
> previous documentation mostly wished they were not but this was never
> the case.

Thanks for improving the documentation.

+ In this mode, the parameters from both this section and <xref
+ linkend="runtime-config-wal-recovery-target"/> will be used. Parameters
+ from <xref linkend="runtime-config-replication-standby"/> will not be
+ used.

The latter description seems not true. hot_standby and
max_standby_archive_delay in "runtime-config-replication-standby"
are used during archive recovery. So something like the following
change would need to be applied, I think. Patch attached.

In this mode, the parameters from both this section and <xref
linkend="runtime-config-wal-recovery-target"/> will be used. Parameters
from <xref linkend="runtime-config-replication-standby"/> will not be
- used.
+ used (<varname>hot_standby</varname> and
+ <varname>max_standby_archive_delay</varname>).
</para>

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
standby_parameters_document_v1.patch application/octet-stream 576 bytes