Re: Maven Artifact JDK Suffix

From: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Mark Rotteveel <mark(at)lawinegevaar(dot)nl>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maven Artifact JDK Suffix
Date: 2016-01-16 14:55:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >* jre07-9.4.1207
>
> This is not a valid Maven version.
> major/minor/patch are numerics

It's still acceptable but it reduces all comparisons to pure string
compares. As it's not the default style for Maven I agree we should avoid
it then.

> We'd probably better follow "plug&pray" development style and go ahead
> with jre6/jre7/jre8 then.

Yes I guess we don't really have much other choice besides complicating
things quite a bit with separate dependencies for the API itself (and/or
separate artifacts per JDK).

We should add a note to the README about this as well. I'm sure someone
will eventually run into the issue of a dependency specifying a newer
driver version with a lower JDK. Would be nice to have it documented
somewhere that the solution is to make sure the top level Maven project
specifies the latest version for the desired JDK version.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/