Re: pgsql: Drop index behind pg_upgrade test issue.

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Drop index behind pg_upgrade test issue.
Date: 2021-03-11 16:37:47
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 8:27 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Strongly agree. I hadn't realized that the patch actually *removed*
> the index reloption, rather than just turning it into a no-op. I think
> that's a complete nonstarter. It will break pg_upgrade scenarios where
> users have indexes with that option set. It's an especially bad idea
> to have done it in a stable branch, but I doubt we can get away with
> it even in HEAD.

But I haven't removed the index reloption (or the GUC of the same
name) on the 13 branch. I just made it a no-op there, and removed the
documentation.

Evidently there is a consensus that the reloption should not have been
removed on HEAD. I'll discuss that on the other -committers thread
now.

--
Peter Geoghegan