Re: pgsql: Drop index behind pg_upgrade test issue.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Drop index behind pg_upgrade test issue.
Date: 2021-03-11 16:27:19
Lists: pgsql-committers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 03:02 +0000, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> Fix the test failure by dropping the index in question.

> I'd take that as an indication that Michael had a point with his
> complaint[1]. Perhaps it would be better to implement one of his
> ideas than to remove the test.

Strongly agree. I hadn't realized that the patch actually *removed*
the index reloption, rather than just turning it into a no-op. I think
that's a complete nonstarter. It will break pg_upgrade scenarios where
users have indexes with that option set. It's an especially bad idea
to have done it in a stable branch, but I doubt we can get away with
it even in HEAD.