Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section

From: Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: magnus <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date: 2018-08-28 11:50:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 4:11 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

> Thanks, Dave, for picking that one up. I had it on my list to deal with
> but it somehow slipped out of my inbox.
>

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Umair Shahid <
>> umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please find attached a patch to add PGInstaller to the Downloads section
>>> of postgresql.org.
>>>
>>> PGInstaller offers an easy way to install PostgreSQL. We have found this
>>> to be crucial to our customers who are used to GUI-based, click-n-point
>>> installers on Windows and at times on macOS. PGInstaller has evolved from
>>> 2UDA, a package that 2ndQuadrant has been working on for more than 3 years.
>>>
>>> 2ndQuadrant is committed to developing and actively maintaining
>>> PGInstaller for PostgreSQL versions 9.5 and above. We have been releasing,
>>> and will continue to release, updates in sync with the PostgreSQL
>>> community, most recently announcing the minor release on 9-Aug. PGInstaller
>>> has also kept up with the Beta releases for PostgreSQL 11.
>>>

>> The first issue that I can see (or more correctly, not see), is the
>> source code. All packages on these pages need to be 100% Open Source,
>> including the code required to build the packages themselves (but not
>> necessarily the tools/compilers of course). Where can the code be found?
>>

> In fact, I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest another restructure.
> (which I've been thinking about for a while, but this makes it more current)
>
> I think for the distribution specific ones, we should really only keep the
> community provided or recommended ones. That means on debian/ubuntu pages
> we keep only apt.pg.org and "included in distro". For redhat/ubuntu we
> keep only yum.pg.org and "included in distro". That goes for all the
> platforms that we have clear recommendations on.
>
> The other installers, including this new one from 2ndquadrant, gets moved
> to "3rd party distributions" on https://www.postgresql.org/download/,
> which may now possibly need a sub-page with all of them on. (Incidentally,
> this is where 2UDA already is).
>
> The remaining question then becomes Windows and Mac. My personal view is
> keep the EDB installer on the Windows one, but consider keeping
> postgres.app instead on Mac (along with references to things like homebrew)
> as that seems to resonate with what people actually want on that platform.
> But I'm not a Mac user myself, so somebody who is might have an argument
> for keeping others there instead.

I can understand keeping PGDG's apt and yum repositories as the community
provided/recommended sources for distribution specific ones. I am not sure
I understand the reasoning behind the Windows suggestion though. Are you
proposing that the community starts recommending the use of EDB installers
for Windows?

> The idea ehind ghit is, of course, to simplify things for our users. Right
> now we quite honestly provide more options than they need. It's good to
> have those, but it's also good to have a very straight forward path for
> those who don't have any non-standard needs. Each page can be given a
> "there are also a number of third party options available, <click here> to
> see them".

+1 for simplicity

> Finally; "PGInstaller" is the name used by the original Windows packaging
>> that Magnus and I used to maintain (
>> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller/). I for one would appreciate
>> it if you didn't use that name, but came up with something original.
>>

> +1. (And for the record, I still get mailman spam for pginstaller now and
> then :P So while we may think it's dead, it's definitely playing zombie now
> and then)

:-)

I'll get back with a revised patch

--