What's a reasonable maximum number for table partitions?

From: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What's a reasonable maximum number for table partitions?
Date: 2015-02-13 00:44:33
Lists: pgsql-general

The documentation says having too many partitions will end up being
unproductive as it will cause the optimizer to examine all the tables for
query planning. So I am wondering what's a reasonable upper limit?

If I was to partition a table by day I would have 365 tables per year. Is
that too many? What if I used a different criteria that would cause a
thousand tables?

Does anybody have experience with huge number of partitions if so where did
you start running into trouble?

Thanks.