Re: Programmatic access to interval units

From: Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Programmatic access to interval units
Date: 2014-12-02 15:48:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Good morning list,
> >
> > According to the documentation for interval data type inputs, the unit
> can
> > be one of microsecond, millisecond, second, minute, hour, day, week,
> month,
> > year, decade, century, or millennium. Are these units stored in a catalog
> > somewhere? I would like to access them programmatically if possible, to
> > validate input for a function I am developing.
>
> if you're writing C, you can use libpqtypes to do this. It exposes the
> interval as a C structure.
>
> typedef struct
> {
> int years;
> int mons;
> int days;
> int hours;
> int mins;
> int secs;
> int usecs;
> } PGinterval;
>

> merlin

Thanks Merlin. I am not writing this in C, rather I am using Pl/pgSQL.
Apologies
for not mentioning that up front. I was hoping to do a SELECT ... WHERE IN
query form a catalog relation.

That being said, maybe it is time for me to get back into C? I haven't done
much
in C in many years, but this simple validation function might not be a bad
jumping off point. If I do not get the response I was hoping for I may just
do
that.

Regards,
Nelson