Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8

From: Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8
Date: 2022-03-04 20:28:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

пт, 4 мар. 2022 г. в 22:12, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> Can we "just" move the database LUNs (this is on a SAN, and the servers
> are
> ESX VMs) from the old server to the new server, and then rebuild all
> indices
> with text columns?

Pretty much yes. Though we do it slightly different:
- setup physical replica on the new host
- use amcheck for all btree indexes and add those that needs reindexing to
the list
- add all non-btree indexes where we can find attributes with
pg_collation.collname NOT IN ('C', 'POSIX') to the same list
- run reindexing in parallel via xargs to measure time required (replica
should be re-created after this of course).

--
Victor Yegorov