Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8

From: Kishore Dahlstrom <kishore(dot)dahlstrom(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving from RHEL6 to RHEL8
Date: 2022-03-04 21:41:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

I was a storage admin for 12 years. First I would recommend backing your
data on the source volume.

I have migrated data both by replication and by actually swinging the SAN
volumes from one host to another. The process for Windows and Linux
environments is different. I am sure there is a lot of Youtube video or
article written on this subject matter.

The windows environment running SQL server was easy to swing the volume
from the older OS to the new OS.
Linux environment was a little bit more challenging, but it can be done.

If it's VM, you should be able to import the volume via Vsphere, and then
attach the volume to the new Linux VM. Once attached you can run lsblk,
lvscan, or fdisk command to view the attached volume. You should be able
to work with the device and mount the file system.

Sorry, it's been a while but I know I have moved SAN volumes in Linux.

Hope this helps.

Kishore
infinitespices.com