401 Unauthorized on first run of pgadmin4

From: John Little <john(dot)b(dot)little(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 401 Unauthorized on first run of pgadmin4
Date: 2018-07-13 04:07:27
Lists: pgadmin-support

I've today tried to install pgadmin4 on Kubuntu 18.04 according to the
instructions at

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

Running pgadmin4 produces a 401 Unauthorized page in firefox.

In the terminal it shows

Python path: "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages"
Python Home: ""
Webapp path: "/usr/share/pgadmin4/web/pgAdmin4.py"

and hangs. postgresql works fine, installed yesterday from the Ubuntu
repository.

I've tried removing ~/.pgadmin/pgadmin4.db, installing the packages
pgadmin4-apache2 and python3-flask-babelex, setting SERVER_MODE=True
and False, and resetting the postgres password.

I've never had pgadmin running before, and it's a vanilla install. Or
at least it was until my various efforts to make it run, having
googled around.

What am I missing?

Regards, John Little