Re: Schema obfuscator for performance question

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joseph Pravato <joseph(dot)pravato(at)nomagic(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema obfuscator for performance question
Date: 2013-03-04 21:37:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Joseph Pravato
<joseph(dot)pravato(at)nomagic(dot)com> wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> We are having a performance issue with our views in PostgreSQL and based on
> the requirements for assistance you recommend providing the full table and
> index schema besides additional information from this site.
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions
>
> We have been unsuccessful in finding a tool to obfuscate the schema before
> providing it for review, is there an open source tool you recommend to use?
>
> Thanks!

Without getting into the ugly business of asking why you'd want to
obfuscate schema, I can imagine a few (wrong) answers, I'll start by
noting that schema transmits meaning in the very names used, so
obfuscation, especially automatic and mindless obfuscation, will make
the problem a lot harder to review, because it will be a lot harder to
understand the schema.

So... I'd suggest, if you need obfuscation, that it should be done
manually, so that you may preserve meaningful names.