Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-10-01 14:53:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 at 15:52, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> > So we need to think about a way to make this more robust for future people editing. Maybe something in .gitattributes or some editor settings. Otherwise, it will be all over the places after a while.
>
> Maybe we can add some form of pandoc target for rendering as as way to test
> locally before pushing?

I think a gitattributes rule to disallow hard-tabs word work fine,
especially when combined with this patch of mine which keeps the
.editorconfig file in sync with the .gitattributes file:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/49/4829/

> > Apart from this, I don't changing the placeholders like <foo> to < foo >. In some cases, this really decreases readability. Maybe we should look for different approaches there.
>
> Agreed. I took a stab at some of them in the attached. The usage in
> src/test/isolation/README is seemingly the hardest to replace and I'm not sure
> how we should proceed there.

One way to improve the isolation/README situation is by:
1. indenting the standalone lines by four spaces to make it a code block
2. for the inline cases, replace <foo> with `<foo>` or `foo`