Re: Detailed release notes

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detailed release notes
Date: 2024-09-06 22:30:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 22 Aug 2024 at 21:34, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> I understand your point, and agree with that for previous releases, but since we have a month only for version 17, will this process work properly until that date ?
> I think a release notes is more read as soon as it is available than other months, isn't it ?
> And this feature is just a HTML page, so if it's done manually or automatically, from the reader point of view it'll be exactly the same.

Big +1 to this. It would definitely be great if we would have these
commit links for previous release notes. But the PG17 GA release is
probably happening in 19 days on September 26th. I feel like we should
focus on getting the manual improvements from Jian He merged,
otherwise we'll end up with release notes for PG17 on release day that
are significantly less useful than they could have been. Let's not
make perfect the enemy of good here.