Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-09-25 06:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 16 Aug 2024 at 07:43, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> However, there are other ways to accomplish that. I liked the
> suggestion of extending the CF webapp with a way to search for entries
> mentioning a particular mail message ID. I dunno how hard it'd be to
> get it to recognize *any* message-ID from a thread, but surely at
> least the head message ought not be too hard to match.

This is now deployed, so you can now find a CF entry based on the email ID.

A bunch of other improvements also got deployed:
- Improved homepage[1] (now with useful and bookmarkable links at the top)
- More links on the cf entry page[2] (cfbot results, github diff, and
stable link to entry itself)
- Instructions on how to checkout an cfbot entry

CFBot traffic lights directly on the cfentry and probably the
commifest list page are the next thing I'm planning to work on

After that I'll take a look at sending opt-in emails

Another thing that I'm interested in adding is some metric of patch
size, so it's easier to find small patches that are thus hopefully
"easy" to review. To accommodate multi-patch emails, I'm thinking of
showing lines changed in the first patch and lines changed in all
patches together. Possibly showing it clearly, if significantly more
lines were deleted than added, so it's easy to spot effective
refactorings.