Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-08-16 14:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> On 15.08.24 19:25, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>> Apart from the above issue, I'm -0.5 on what to me equates with
>> automated spam to -hackers: the volume of mails would put this around
>> the 16th most common sender on -hackers, with about 400 mails/year
>> (based on 80 new patches for next CF, and 5 CFs/year, combined with
>> Robert's 2023 statistics at [0]).

> Yeah, I'd rather not open the can of worms that we send automated emails
> to this list at all. If we do this, then there will be other requests,
> and why this one and not that one. If people want to get emails from
> the commitfest app, it should be that you subscribe there and it sends
> those emails to those who want them.

That would destroy the one good argument for this, which was to
provide an easy way to get from a mail list thread (in the archives)
to the corresponding CF entry or entries. You pull up the "flat"
thread, search for the bot mail, and click the link. Without that
I see little point at all.

However, there are other ways to accomplish that. I liked the
suggestion of extending the CF webapp with a way to search for entries
mentioning a particular mail message ID. I dunno how hard it'd be to
get it to recognize *any* message-ID from a thread, but surely at
least the head message ought not be too hard to match.