Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM - 3051 - ables > Properties > Columns tab is slow on tables with a lot of fields

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM - 3051 - ables > Properties > Columns tab is slow on tables with a lot of fields
Date: 2019-01-29 05:17:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:39 AM Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM Khushboo Vashi <
> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Aditya,
>>
>> Thanks for the review.
>>
>> Please find the attached updated patch.
>>
>> @ Murtuza,
>>
>> Regarding your concern, I have not used the API. As per the
>> documentation, there are 2 ways to initialise the bootstrap toggle, First
>> Initialise with HTML and second with Code.
>> In our case, Initialisation with HTML is not possible as we render the
>> backform controls runtime, So, I have used the other option.
>> Also, the main issue of slow rendering which has been solved through this
>> implementation. The browser hanging issue is due to Backbone collection
>> reset method and I am working on that part with another RM,
>> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/3664.
>>

> I agreed to that, that's why I wrote when not in edit mode : )
>
> With API mode, we are performing DOM operation on each individual instance
> (specially in Subnode/Backgrid) which I think we should avoid when we are
> just displaying to the user.

I agree - it was my concern with the earlier switch control as well.

I was thinking of using switch control based on complete CSS.
How about the following?
https://github.com/ghinda/css-toggle-switch
https://ghinda.net/css-toggle-switch/bootstrap.html

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

> Regrads,
> Murtuza
>

>> @ Dave,
>>
>> Please, review this patch, we need your approval for the toggle design
>> changes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Khushboo
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM Aditya Toshniwal <
>> aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Khushboo,
>>>
>>> I have few suggestions/review:
>>> 1) Do we need to add "editor" class to switch control in backgrid when
>>> changing. For eg. in tables->columns if I change not null switch, it adds
>>> editor class which makes hover background white. Plus, leaving the switch
>>> does not remove editor class. I think we can skip adding editor, what
>>> do you think?
>>>
>> This issue was old, not due to my patch but I have fixed it.
>>
>>> 2) In Login roles, Create trigger dialogs switch control colors are
>>> different. Below is screenshot,
>>> [image: Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 11.04.36 AM.png]
>>>
>> Fixed
>>
>>> 3) In Create cast dialog switch control is smaller and so clipping text.
>>> Below is screenshot,
>>> [image: Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 11.07.14 AM.png]
>>>
>> Fixed
>>
>>> 4) You've removed unnecessary switch control template codes at most
>>> places. I would suggest doing the same for Backform.CustomSwitchControl in