Re: Possible to add servers to pgadmin4 via CLI or config files?

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Glen Huang <heyhgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible to add servers to pgadmin4 via CLI or config files?
Date: 2017-09-07 05:39:13
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Glen Huang <heyhgl(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m running pgadmin in docker, and I’d like it to contain some servers by
> default when the container starts. Is there any way to add servers (ideally
> also preferences) via command line or some config files?
>
> Currently I keep a copy of pgadmin4.db after I have configured pgadmin,
> and put that in the docker. But I worry that the data structure of that db
> file can change, and I need to reconfigure pgadmin when I upgrade to a new
> version.
>
> Is copying over pgadmin4.db the right way to achieve that?

pgAdmin 4 can be run in two modes, server mode, and runtime (stand alone)
mode.

In server mode, generally - it should be accessible through browser, and
hence - for security reasons, we create the user on first startup.
In runtime (stand alone mode), it runs as an application.

I believe - you're talking about runtime mode.
Then - it's ok to share the pgadmin4.db (configuration file), but - it
would be available to a particular user, as it is shared among the
operating system users.

pgAdmin 4 will do automatically upgrade of the configuration on next run,
if some configuration has changed. So - it would safe to share the
configuration file in dockers.

-- Thanks, Ashesh