Re: [BUGS] BUG #14260: psqlODBC does not support sslXXXXX variables

From: Lindsay Stevens <lindsay(dot)stevens(dot)au(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14260: psqlODBC does not support sslXXXXX variables
Date: 2016-07-20 23:52:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-odbc

I long while back I had a similar issue and drafted a patch (working code /
build but no test) to add some libpq parameter support. It was for
pg_service, which can point to a connection config file and leverages
libpq's ability to read that for any / all possible parameters.

At the time, Heikki was doing the only commits and suggested a non file
based approach where we pass in to libpq any provided parameters not
currently explicitly handled. This has the advantage over pg_service of not
having to supply a service config file with the application. I wasn't sure
how to do that though (rudimentary C skills...) and had a workaround for
the motivating problem so I left it alone.

What would be the current preferred approach? E.g. (or some combination of)

1. write boilerplate-ish code to explicitly handle all current libpq
parameters, or
2. write the above pass-all-in feature, or
3. use pg_service.

I've attached my patch for 3, and could work on 1, but I'd need some
pointers (ha) on doing 2.

Best regards,
Lindsay

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_service_dsn_parameter.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB