Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)pgexperts(dot)com>
Cc: Payal Singh <payal(at)omniti(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?
Date: 2013-12-06 21:11:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff(at)pgexperts(dot)com> wrote:

> > On Dec 6, 2013, at 11:07, Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > After I rsync the postgres data directory, do I need the WAL files from
> the source (they're on a separate disk, not part of the postgres data
> directory)? Can/should I erase the WAL directory of the destination?
>
> Yes, you need the WAL files.

Now I have two directly conflicting answers. You say the WAL files are
needed even though the DB is shut off, and Payal Singh says I don't need
the WAL files (but I don't think he cc'd the mailing list).

Why are the WAL files necessary if the DB is shut off? Why can't they just
be erased?

It's a gigabyte of copying that I was hoping to avoid.

Craig