Re: proposal: plpgsql, new check for extra_errors - strict_expr_check

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: plpgsql, new check for extra_errors - strict_expr_check
Date: 2024-06-16 18:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ne 16. 6. 2024 v 19:36 odesílatel Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
napsal:

> Em dom., 16 de jun. de 2024 às 12:11, Pavel Stehule <
> pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> escreveu:
>
>> I don't follow this idea - when it does not make sense, then why do you
>> use it? It can be a signal of some issue in your code.
>>

> I don't use it, but sometimes it occurs, and there are lots of languages
> which ignore it, so it would be cool if plpgsql does it too.
>
> If you do this, works
> set search_path to public;;;

psql allows it, but it is a shell - not a programming language.

> but if you do the same inside a block, it does not.

It is a different language. I have not too strong an opinion about it - it
is hard to say what is the correct design when you should work with a mix
of languages like SQL and Ada (PL/pgSQL), and when related standard SQL/PSM
is not widely used. Personally, I don't see any nice features that allow it
to accept dirty code. I have negative experiences when a language is
tolerant.

Regards

Pavel