Re: Postgres going very slow

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Olivier Leprêtre <o(dot)lepretre(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres going very slow
Date: 2020-09-30 11:14:29
Lists: pgsql-general

st 30. 9. 2020 v 10:06 odesílatel Olivier Leprêtre <o(dot)lepretre(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hi,
>

> We have a database which is getting very slow. Pgadmin 3 is alos very
> slow, requiring more than 2 minutes to refresh the list of schemas
>
> Machine is a windows server 2016 with Intel Xeon 2,4Ghz, 24 Go Ram.
> Postgres 9.6/32 bits
>
> Database contains 4000 schemas, each having 164 tables, 48 index. This
> generates 3,2 millions files in one folder (which could be an explanation..)
>
> Searching to distribute datas across different disks, I looked at
> tablespace but as we work with schemas as a whole, it doesn’t seems to be
> adequate.
>
> I tried to see if it as possible to distribute schemas on different
> folders but it doesn’t seems possible in the same database.
>
> Would a solution be to create different databases which is possible but
> more complex to manage from a development point of view ?
>
> Does going to postgres 64 could improve things ?
>
> Any suggestions ?

You have 24GB RAM and you use 32bit Postgres. Sure, using 32 bit is pretty
ineffective. Pgadmin will be every time slow if you have 4000 schemas -
this design is not good for interactive tools that show all schemas.

Regards

Pavel