Postgres going very slow

From: Olivier Leprêtre <o(dot)lepretre(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres going very slow
Date: 2020-09-30 08:05:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We have a database which is getting very slow. Pgadmin 3 is alos very slow,
requiring more than 2 minutes to refresh the list of schemas

Machine is a windows server 2016 with Intel Xeon 2,4Ghz, 24 Go Ram. Postgres
9.6/32 bits

Database contains 4000 schemas, each having 164 tables, 48 index. This
generates 3,2 millions files in one folder (which could be an explanation..)

Searching to distribute datas across different disks, I looked at tablespace
but as we work with schemas as a whole, it doesn’t seems to be adequate.

I tried to see if it as possible to distribute schemas on different folders
but it doesn’t seems possible in the same database.

Would a solution be to create different databases which is possible but more
complex to manage from a development point of view ?

Does going to postgres 64 could improve things ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks very much !

Olivier