Re: badly scaling performance with appending to bytea

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gary Cowell <gary(dot)cowell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: badly scaling performance with appending to bytea
Date: 2018-03-21 12:56:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

> We are trying to implement postgresql code to load a large object into
> a postgresql bytea in chunks to avoid loading the file into memory in
> the client.
>
> First attempt was to do
>
> update build_attachment set chunk = chunk || newdata ;
>
> this did not scale and got significantly slower after 4000-5000 updates.
>
> The chunks are 4K in size, and I'm testing with a 128MB input file,
> requiring 32,774 chunk updates.
>
> Next, I tried creating an aggregate, thus:
>
> (taken from stackoverflow)
>
> CREATE AGGREGATE bytea_agg(bytea) (SFUNC=byteacat,STYPE=bytea);
>
> changed the code to insert the chunks to a temporary table :
>
> create temporary table build_attachment (seq bigserial primary key,
> chunk bytea ) on commit drop;
>
> we then insert our 4K chunks to this, which takes very little time (20
> seconds for the 32,774 inserts)
>
> Here's an example though of trying to select the aggregate:
>
> gary=> \timing
> Timing is on.
> gary=> select bytea_agg(chunk order by seq) from build_attachment
> where seq < 4000 \g output
> Time: 13372.843 ms
> gary=> select bytea_agg(chunk order by seq) from build_attachment
> where seq < 8000 \g output
> Time: 54447.541 ms
> gary=> select bytea_agg(chunk order by seq) from build_attachment
> where seq < 16000 \g output
> Time: 582219.773 ms
>
> So those partial aggregates completed in somewhat acceptable times but ...
>
> gary=> select bytea_agg(chunk order by seq) from build_attachment
> where seq < 32000 \g output
> this one hadn't completed in an hour - the PostgreSQL connection
> process for my connection on the server goes to 100% CPU and stays
> there, not using much RAM, not doing much IO, oddly
>
> EXPLAINing these aggregate selects doesn't show anything useful.
>
> Am I doomed to not be able to update a bytea this way? Is there some
> way I can tune this?

bytea is immutable object without preallocation - so update of big tasks is
very expensive.

I am thinking so using LO API and then transformation to bytea will be much
more effective

\lo_import path

you can use

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION attachment_to_bytea(attachment oid)
RETURNS bytea AS $$
DECLARE
fd integer;
size integer;
BEGIN
fd := lo_open(attachment, 262144);
size := lo_lseek(fd, 0, 2);
PERFORM lo_lseek(fd, 0, 0);
RETURN loread(fd, size);
EXCEPTION WHEN undefined_object THEN
PERFORM lo_close(fd);
RETURN NULL;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql STRICT SECURITY DEFINER SET search_path = 'pg_catalog';

function

import cca 44MB was in few seconds

Regards

Pavel