Re: Syntax question about returning value from an insert

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax question about returning value from an insert
Date: 2019-12-25 15:48:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

st 25. 12. 2019 v 16:26 odesílatel stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com> napsal:

> I am writing a trigger/function to make certain a default item, and its key
> exist when an insert is called. EG
>
> The trigger gets called on insert to T1 If column c1 is NULL in the NEW
> structure, I need to check table t2 to get the key associated with the
> default for this column. However, if the default is not yet inserted into
> t2, I an to go ahead and insert it.
>
> I found this page:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6560447/can-i-use-return-value-of-insert-returning-in-another-insert
> which sugest this syntax:
>
> with rows as (
> INSERT INTO Table1 (name) VALUES ('a_title') RETURNING id
> )
> INSERT INTO Table2 (val)
> SELECT id
> FROM rows
>
> I modified it slightly to look like this:
>
> IF _bom_name_key is NULL
> THEN
> with rows as (
> INSERT INTO project_bom (bom_name) VALUES ('Main') RETURNING
> project_bom_key
> )
> NEW.project_bom_key = SELECT project_bom_key
> FROM rows ;
>
> But this gives me syntax error.

you example is little bit confused.

probably it should to be

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ...
RETURNS ...
AS $$
BEGIN
INSERT INTO ... VALUES('...') RETURNING project_bom_key INTO
NEW.project_bom_key;

You cannot to use plpgsql statements inside SQL statements - you cannot to
use assign statement (plpgsql) inside SQL statement (WITH).

> I realize this functionality is slightly different, but can I get the new
> key into the NEW structure to return from the function call?

The fields of records are fixed in first time of created composite value,
and cannot to enhanced in time.

But maybe I don't understand well to your use case. Your examples looks
chaotic little bit.

Regards

Pavel