Re: pgsql: Document XLOG_INCLUDE_XID a little better

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Document XLOG_INCLUDE_XID a little better
Date: 2021-10-21 05:50:23
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 9:11 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:49 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 7:09 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does MarkTopTransactionIdLogged() have to be inside XLogInsertRecord's
> > > critical section?
> >
> > I think this function is doing somewhat similar things to what we are
> > doing in MarkCurrentTransactionIdLoggedIfAny() so put at the same
> > place. But I don't see any reason for this to be in the critical
> > section.
> >

> Yeah, I also don't see any reason for this to be in the critical
> section but it might be better to keep both together. So, if we want
> to keep MarkTopTransactionIdLogged() out of the critical section in
> this patch then we should move the existing function
> MarkCurrentTransactionIdLoggedIfAny() in a separate patch so that
> future readers doesn't get confused as to why one of these is in the
> critical section and other is not. OTOH, we can move
> MarkCurrentTransactionIdLoggedIfAny() out of the critical section in
> this patch itself but that appears like an unrelated change and we may
> or may not want to back-patch the same.

v5-0001, incorporates all the comment fixes suggested by Alvaro. and
0001 is an additional patch which moves
MarkCurrentTransactionIdLoggedIfAny(), out of the critical section.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Replace-XLOG_INCLUDE_XID-flag-with-a-more-localiz.patch text/x-patch 11.1 KB
0001-Code-refactoring-move-unwanted-function-out-of-the-c.patch text/x-patch 988 bytes