Re: [RM2074][[RM2080]][pgAdmin4] handle large bytea and bytea[] data in datagrid

From: Harshal Dhumal <harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RM2074][[RM2080]][pgAdmin4] handle large bytea and bytea[] data in datagrid
Date: 2017-07-17 12:09:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Please find updated patch. Now placeholder string for bytea and bytea[]
data will only appear in datagrid (view all/1000/500 rows). If user
executes query using Query tool then placeholder won't appear (similar to
pgAdminIII behaviour)

--
*Harshal Dhumal*
*Sr. Software Engineer*

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Harshal,
>
> This broke the fetching trigger function parameters logic, take a look at
> raise_a_notice() function parameter in screenshot.
>
> In my opinion we just can't just blindly convert everything to place
> holder, what if user wants to perform some operation on bytea column like
> we are doing in web/pgadmin/browser/server_groups/servers/databases/schem
> as/tables/templates/trigger/sql/default/properties.sql to fetch these
> arguments?
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> --
> Regards,
> Murtuza Zabuawala
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Harshal Dhumal <
> harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find attached patch to handle bytea and bytea[] data in datagrid.
>>
>> Now instead of showing actual data we can show placeholders like <binary
>> data> and <binary data[]>. Also placeholders will only appear if data
>> actually exists otherwise null will be shown.
>>

>> --
>> *Harshal Dhumal*
>> *Sr. Software Engineer*
>>
>> EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com