Re: Patch from RM1983 [pgAdmin4]

From: Harshal Dhumal <harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch from RM1983 [pgAdmin4]
Date: 2017-02-06 14:54:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

--
*Harshal Dhumal*
*Software Engineer*

EnterpriseDB India: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Harshal Dhumal
> <harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please find attached patch for RM 1983.
> >
> > This issue only occurs when database encoding is other than utf-8
> >
> > Also other issue was when we use connection of database with encoding
> other
> > than utf-8 to retrieve data from cluster table/s which has encoding utf-8
> > (e.g. pg_database) then data was not decoded properly.
>
> The code makes an assumption that pg_database is always utf-8 encoded.
> I don't believe that is correct - I believe it's the encoding used in
> the database from which the new database was created. The general
> advice is that users should avoid using non-7bit ASCII characters in
> shared catalogs, e.g. databases and comments etc.

Ok.

Let me split this into two issues:
i) RM1983 for which I have attached updated patch. (basically I removed
changes related to decode data retried from pg_database when connection
encoding is other than utf-8)
ii) Support to allow user to use non-&bit ASCII characters in shared
catalogs with the help of pgAdmin4.

Regarding your statement about pg_database *"I believe it's the encoding
used in the database from which the new database was created."**. *I found
it little-bit confusing for me (correct me if i'm wrong); As mentioned here
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/catalog-pg-database.html> there
is only one copy of pg_database per cluster. So I assume pg_database is
created when we initialize database cluster and not when we create new
database.

> See https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160216163833.GF31273%
> 40momjian(dot)us#20160216163833(dot)GF31273(at)momjian(dot)us
> for more info for example.
>
> Did pgAdmin 3 just assume it was UTF-8? I suspect it did - and that
> just happened to work in most cases.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com