Re: Patch from RM1983 [pgAdmin4]

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Harshal Dhumal <harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch from RM1983 [pgAdmin4]
Date: 2017-02-06 13:18:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Harshal Dhumal
<harshal(dot)dhumal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find attached patch for RM 1983.
>
> This issue only occurs when database encoding is other than utf-8
>
> Also other issue was when we use connection of database with encoding other
> than utf-8 to retrieve data from cluster table/s which has encoding utf-8
> (e.g. pg_database) then data was not decoded properly.

The code makes an assumption that pg_database is always utf-8 encoded.
I don't believe that is correct - I believe it's the encoding used in
the database from which the new database was created. The general
advice is that users should avoid using non-7bit ASCII characters in
shared catalogs, e.g. databases and comments etc.

See https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160216163833(dot)GF31273%40momjian(dot)us#20160216163833(dot)GF31273(at)momjian(dot)us
for more info for example.

Did pgAdmin 3 just assume it was UTF-8? I suspect it did - and that
just happened to work in most cases.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com