Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?

From: Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Date: 2014-04-01 22:32:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Yeb

Thanks for the pointers.

Of course disk access is not obsolete: As I said, I suppose changes are
streamed to disk.

When I mentioned "no disk access" I meant the indices of RDBMS which
designed to handle disk access - which seems to me different in in-memory
dabases.

The paper referred by you is coming from SAP's chief scientist and it
confirms actually my claim, that there's no need for a primary index since
the primary attribute (i.e. all attributes) is already kept sorted
in-memory.

It also mentions an insert-only technique: "This approach has been adopted
before in POSTGRES [21] in 1987 and was called "time-travel".
I would be interested what "time-travel" is and if this is still used by
Postgres.
Finally the paper is mostly about column stores - nothing about
persistence. In mentions Disaster recovery" in the last section about
future work, though.

-S.