Re: [GSoC] Finalized First Patch

From: Yosry Muhammad <yosrym93(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Finalized First Patch
Date: 2019-07-11 13:20:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Khushboo,
Please find an updated patch attached with the mentioned import line
removed.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM Khushboo Vashi <
khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 3:11 PM Yosry Muhammad <yosrym93(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019, 9:14 AM Khushboo Vashi <
>> khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some points I missed:
>>> 1. I assumed that in this patch modification in case of OIDs= True
>>> (without primary key) has not considered as that is not working.
>>>

>> This is not implemented yet. I will work on that in a following patch
>> soon enough.
>>
>> Okay.
>
>> 2. As we are already showing the changed Data prompt on closing the Query
>>> Tool, do we really need the Uncommitted Transaction prompt?
>>>

>> This is needed when auto-commit is off. Saving changes in the data grid
>> is performed as part of the ongoing transaction (or a new one if none is
>> ongoing). After saving the data changes the user should still commit the
>> current transaction for the changes to be commited to the database. This
>> feature is also useful in general when auto-commit is off as users may
>> forget to commit ongoing transactions.
>>
>> One thing I have noticed, when I add a new row and delete it immediately
> without saving it and try to close the query tool, the uncommitted prompt
> is coming.
> In my opinion, it should not come, what do you think?
>
> We should disable the prompt if auto-commit and auto-rollback both are
> enabled.

The uncommited prompt does not keep track of what the user has done so far,
it only checks for the current transaction status. If a current transaction
is ongoing, the prompt comes up. If you added a new row then deleted it
without saving, the transaction status is not affected, you must have done
a previous operation and had auto-commit turned off (probably the select
statement).
if auto-commit & auto-rollback are both enabled then there won't be any
ongoing transaction at any point, thus, the prompt will never come up.

Looking forward for any feedback !
Thanks !

--
*Yosry Muhammad Yosry*