get rid of <foreignphrase> tags in the docs?

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: get rid of <foreignphrase> tags in the docs?
Date: 2021-02-04 15:02:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While looking at the proposed removal of the v2 protocol, I noticed that we
italicize some, but not all, instances of 'per se', 'pro forma', and 'ad
hoc'. I'd say these are widespread enough in formal registers of English
that they hardly need to be called out as foreign, so I propose removing
the tags for those words. Alternatively, we could just add tags to make
existing usage consistent, but I have little reason to think it will stay
that way. It's also impractical to go and search for other possible words
that should have been italicized but weren't.

The other case is 'voilà', found in rules.sgml. The case for italics here
is stronger, but looking at that file, I actually think a more
generic-sounding phrase here would be preferable.

Other opinions?

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com