Feature request (or at least discussion): enable autovaccum on temp tables

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Feature request (or at least discussion): enable autovaccum on temp tables
Date: 2019-05-31 15:25:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

The reason why we are using temp tables is to allow concurrent runs on some
very large reports which involve creating and heavily churning dozens of
very large tables.

The problem we're facing is that if we DON'T use temp tables, the reports
finish in a couple of hours. If we DO use temp tables, they finish in a
couple of weeks. While using regular tables, autovacuum runs pretty much
continuously.

We'll try manually vacuuming the tables after major operations, but that's
kind of kludgy. What would help is a GUC setting which toggles this
behaviour.

Since AFAIK temp tables are very close to unlogged ordinary tables, what
would stop this feature from being implemented?